***Original Recipe Alert!! Woo Hoo!*** I've tried a few Pad Thai recipes, but none seem to be on the money...so I made this one up and it is tasty...dare I say "Thai-sty"?! It's not authentic because I use peanut butter, no tamarind paste, etc... but we like it! It's extra healthy, too. I use 100% whole wheat linguine, 2 cups shredded carrots, a handful of bean sprouts, and tofu. Here it is... my first posted original recipe...hope you like it! Note: you could substitute the tofu for chicken or shrimp...but try the tofu, you might like it! Or add all three if you fee like it!
Ingredients:
8 oz. whole wheat linguine
Canola or Peanut oil
8 oz. extra-firm tofu
1-2 tbs. low sodium soy sauce
2 cups shredded carrots
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
2 green onions, sliced
For the sauce:
2 tbs. smooth peanut butter
2 tbs. low sodium soy sauce
3 tbs. fish sauce
2 tbs. brown sugar
1-2 tsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
1 tbs. canola or peanut oil
Directions:
1. On a plate, prep the tofu to remove moisture by wrapping 2 kitchen towels/cloth napkins around drained tofu. Place another plate on top and then put something heavy on it like a bag of rice or whatever you have around. Put in fridge for a couple hours or overnight.
2 hours later or next day....
2. Cut up tofu ( I like to slice it lengthwise, and then into 1/4 inch slices), put in storage container.
Drizzle 1-2 tbs. soy sauce over tofu, let sit in fridge until ready to use.
3. Boil water for linguine. Cook linguine about 8 min, or as directed on package. Drain and set aside. Mix in a drizzle of oil to prevent noodles from clumping and sticking together.
4. Whisk sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
5. Boil water in small saucepan. Cook bean sprouts for about 2 min. Drain and set aside.
6. Ok, now that you have tons of little bowls and pans "setting aside" it's time to cook!! Heat a wok or large skillet over med-high heat with 1 tbs oil. Stir-fry tofu for a few minutes until it is golden. Remove from wok and place on a paper towel-lined plate/bowl.
7. Add 1 tbs. oil to wok. Quickly stirfry eggs until cooked but not dry...a bit like runny scrambled eggs. Remove from pan into a bowl.
8. Add 1 tbs. oil to wok. (is this a lot of oil?? oh well.) Stir-fry shredded carrots for about 2 minutes.
9. You're almost there! To the carrots, add the linguine, bean sprouts, tofu, and eggs. Mix together with tongs. Cook a minute or so just to reheat everything.
10. Whisk the sauce again and add to pan. Mix together with tongs. (If you are using a skillet, you will want to mix everything in a large bowl. Otherwise, your stove will be covered with noodles, carrots, etc and you might get angry.)
11. If you want to be fancy, transfer noodles to a serving dish. Sprinkle green onions and chopped peanuts on top and enjoy!
I really want to try that......could I use rice noodles? I'm not very good with tufu, what kind do you use? I'll give it a shot. It looks wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThis looks really good, I'll have to try it! But I may have to forgo the tofu--I'm not that brave yet. And Aaron would scream and run.
ReplyDeleteI like your fancy serving dish :)