Wednesday, September 1, 2010

POP! Homemade Cinnamon-Brown Sugar & Raspberry Pastry Pockets

What to do when baby is napping peacefully?  Clean? Nap? No, not today. Make homemade PopTarts? Yes! That's a practical thing to do with my time!  I always crave those disgustingly good toaster pastries as I walk by them in the grocery store. Each time, I pass right on by because they are packed with nothing but nasty, non-nutritive ingredients.  So, when I saw a recipe for "Cinnamon-Sugar Pastry Pockets" in Everyday Food magazine this month, I freaked out!  The homemade version isn't healthy, per se, but at least I know that all the ingredients are simple and real.  And really, anything is healthier simply by making it with your own hands, right??   I decided to make some with raspberry jam, too.  You can substitute with any fruit spread that you like!  P.S. Don't actually put these in the toaster!

Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Pastry Pocket - Photo by Malorie













Raspberry Pastry Pocket - Photo by Malorie

















Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Pastry Pockets
adapted from Everyday Food September 2010

Makes about 12 (yields more if you A.) roll the dough out thinner (1/8 in) and B.) cut them an inch shorter like I did...so could be up to 18)

Ingredients

For Pastry:
3 cups flour, plus some for working with dough
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten PLUS 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk

For Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Filling and Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar), divided
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tbs plus 1/4 tsp cinnamon

For Raspberry Filling and Glaze:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1 drop red food coloring
Sprinkles
1/3-1/2 cup raspberry jam (or other fruit jam)

Directions

1. In large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on high, scraping down bowl as needed, until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add 1 whole egg and beat to combine.  Beat in half the flour and 1 tsp salt, then the milk, then the rest of the flour. 
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead to combine.  Divide dough in half.  Lightly
flour a large piece of paper and roll out one half of the dough into a 9 X 12 inch rectangle.  Repeat with remaining dough and another piece of parchment. Place on tray or baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, 30 min.
3. For Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Filling: In small bowl, mix 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbs. cinnamon, and 5 tsp. water.
4. Remove 1 sheet of dough from fridge.  With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into twelve 2-by-4.5 inch rectangles.  Spread each with 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon-brown sugar filling or fruit jam leaving a 1/2 inch border.  Brush edges with egg yolk. 
5. Remove 2nd sheet of dough from fridge.  Again, cut into twelve 2-by-4.5 inch rectangles.  Place 1 on each rectangle spread with the filling. With the tines of a fork, crimp edges firmly.
6. Chill pastries on two rimmed baking sheets until firm, 30 minutes (or up to one day.) *I skipped this part and my filling oozed out a lot...maybe this wouldn't have happened if I crimped the edges better and chilled it.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds.  Bake until edges are golden, 20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
8. For cinnamon glaze: In a small bowl, whisk 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 5 tsp water.
9. For pink vanilla glaze: In a small bowl, whisk 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/8 tsp vanilla, 1/8 tsp almond extract, 1 drop red food coloring and 5 tsp water.
10. With spoon or small offset spatula, spread each pocket with glaze. Sprinkle raspberry pockets with sprinkles.  Let set 5 minutes.
*Can be stored up to 5 days in an airtight container.


3 comments:

  1. those are freaking amazing! i am tempted to fly tonight and get some he he kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, come on down! (Except, they are all gone!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure they are all gone, I remember Dan with brown sugar pop tarts. I am so jealous though, I want to make some right Now! But no carbs, no gluten and no sugar for me, gggrrrrrrrrr. They are beautiful though, nice job. Who knew you could make your own pop tarts?!

    ReplyDelete