I know, I know... it's been exactly one month since I've posted anything on this blog! But, I have a good reason: I've been making too many things! Every precious second of Luke's nap time I've been working on a new small business called Elephant in the Room Baby Boutique. I've been sewing and cutting and ironing and tying ribbons and tearing out stitches and sewing again...all to make and sell cute little baby things like onesies, t-shirts, hair bows, headbands, and burp cloths. Here are my websites to check out: www.facebook.com/elephantbaby and www.etsy.com/shop/elephantbaby. You don't need a facebook account to check out the facebook page. If I know you, you can call me or just send me an email at elephantintheroombaby@gmail.com to custom order something. Etsy helps me sell to people I don't know (and they take a percentage of the sale...boo.) So, if you need a gift for a precious little one in your life, my sewing machine and I are all yours!
Next, I learned how to crochet during Thanksgiving. Here's how to learn how to crochet:
1.) Get yarn and needles from Michaels or some other hobby store with your best friend sister Carli.
2.) Have your Grandma D. show you how to crochet at the kitchen table. Have a nice chitchat about gigalos and the olden days.
3.) Fly home with exactly 1 inch of a scarf done...
4.) One week later, forget everything that you learned over Thanksgiving.
5.) Go to Martha Stewarts website and search "how to crochet".
6.) Follow these steps: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/how-to-crochet
7.) Crochet a scarf that your husband says looks and feels like a placemat. boo.
8.) Pick out chunkier, softer teal yarn and a huge needle and start a new scarf that only takes a couple days.
9.) Wear your cozy scarf even though it is 65 degrees in January in Tulsa!
And finally, on to some cooking. I have been putting cooking and baking at the absolute bottom of my priority list. No, scratch that, cleaning is at the very dusty, crumby bottom. I took pictures of some things I cooked like Potstickers and Sweet & Sour Chicken, but they never turned into blog posts. Yesterday I made a beautiful Galette aux Pommes (rustic apple tart) for a potluck luncheon that I went to today. Not only was it gorgeous and golden and glistening it was the perfect buttery crust with tart thinly sliced apples and a layer of apricot glaze. Sounds fancy schmancy but it was actually really easy. So here's the recipe (one part Martha Stewart, one part my own):
Galette aux Pommes (Rustic Apple Tart)
For the Crust:
Pate Brisee (Pie Dough) (from http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/pate-brisee-pie-dough, I halved the recipe)



Sacre pomme that tart is gorgeous! And could you please share with me your sewing/crafting gene? I don't seem to have one!!
ReplyDeleteCan you give easier instructions? Wait, I have a better idea...just make and bring over!
ReplyDelete