Thursday, February 3, 2011

11 uses for Apple Butter, 3 days of hibernation & 2nd Remix Outfit

Still hibernating around here...I am hoping hubby will take us out tomorrow to hobby lobby and dinner, hey-oh!  Yesterday I made crockpot apple butter that takes all day.  Man oh man it's worth the 12 hours.  Last night I had it over vanilla ice cream and this morning Luke and I had it on some toast.  I was brainstorming some other uses for this tasty stuff...with greek yogurt, spread on biscuits, pancakes or waffles, thumbprint cookies, inside wonton wrappers for little pie fritters, baked inside of cresent rolls, mixed with oatmeal, swirled in cake batter and baked into a apple cake...ooh I might need to have that apple butter topped ice cream again!  Recipe follows post. I'll take and post a picture tomorrow.  Here is my second outfit for the 30 for 30 remix challenge...

Outfit 2: Argyle Cardigan + pink v-neck + cargos + suede boots
Luke: dino pjs + elmo slippers :)




Crock Pot Apple Butter (Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-apple-butter-93886)

Ingredients:
About 3 lbs apples (10 medium) (I used a mix of granny smith, gala, & braeburn) - peeled, cored, & diced small
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

1. Mix all ingredients together in crock pot.  Cook on high for 1 hour.
2. Turn down to low and cook for 9-11 hours until thick and brown.  Half way through I stirred and mashed with potato masher...though I'm not sure it was neccessary.
3. Uncover and cook for one hour more.
4. Cool and store in fridge or freezer.





2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious...I've never had the chance to try apple butter but now I definitely want to!

    ReplyDelete